Saturday, September 25, 2010

Job Search on my mind ...


I have started reading the Job Search Guide for Teachers over the weekend. Prior to this, I have done some research on this topic online. Mostly scouring through online teacher forums to see what is going on in the teacher’s profession in Ontario. From what I have read, the prospect for teachers is not well. One of the guest speakers from the Teachers’ Union came and told us that there are teachers with 2 years of experience in the Limestone district that are jobless at the moment.

I looked at the opportunities of teaching abroad; at this point, I think I would be willing to teach anywhere as long as it is a long term contract (for aboard it is usually 1-2 years). Here is the dilemma though, if I were to teach abroad, then the experience I gain from there cannot be used as seniority in Ontario later on. Therefore, if I were to come back, I would have to start all over again (maybe start at a higher pay grade) from supply teaching and then to full time. It is critical that I make my choice since the interview and hiring times are different for international schools (TORF) and ones in Ontario. I think working abroad would be a very interesting experience. I get to experience new culture(s) and curriculum(s). It would improve me as an individual and also allow me to bring new ideas to the table if I were to come back to Canada to teach (professional development). There will be very interesting stories and hardships to tell friends, families, colleagues, and students. However, working in Ontario also has advantages as well… since my family and friends are all here and just familiarity of the place. It may be interesting to explore a new environment but at the same time, Canada will always be my ‘home’. 

Talking to a few teaching forum members who already graduated from Queen’s B.Ed (1-2 years ago), they say that the TORF provides good opportunity for TC grads and as long as I don’t have a preference to where I am teaching, I will most likely be offered a position. At this point, I believe that if I were to be offered a job internationally, I would take it. I think it is important to explore the world when I am young and get actual teaching experience (as compared to just supplying). Once I settle down, there will be more responsibilities and it’ll be hard to tell myself to take a few years off to travel around the globe. I guess during my upcoming practicum, I should find out the job prosperity for my region. 



Funny thing, when I talk about this to my parents, my mom definitely disapproves me going abroad. My dad on the other hand 100% supports it. He even said that if he were in my shoes he would definitely go abroad. I guess it’s a mom thing? But all in all, this is going to be a pretty big decision that may change my life. 

Happy ‘Homecoming’.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.