Sunday, October 17, 2010

Second Week of Prac

Moving onto the halfway point of practicum, I am really enjoying my placement so far. I have learnt an abundance about teaching and politics within the school from my associate. My associate teacher is amazing; he is able to see small details that can improve student’s understanding of the subject. I have not received my formative assessment yet (hopefully on Monday or Tuesday). I have been working on the feedback provided by my teacher and I can see an improvement within the class. The students in the class seem to behave better as I spend more time teaching them. In each lesson, I try to do something ‘interesting’, whether it’d be doing a DEMO, POE, or just making up stories to tell them. 

However, I definitely have a long way to go until I reach my associate’s successful teaching style. He is an amazing teacher! All the students love him; even students within an applied class show much respect. From my observation, teachers have to treat students with different expectations for different levels (University vs. College). 

One thing I found that worked well was to read and explain the questions on a test/Quest/Quiz before students start. This allows them to clearly understand what the question is asking before beginning. In addition, sometimes the test you made maybe too long and when marking, you must make sure that if the majority of the class appears to be doing poorly due to lack of time adjust the marks.

I just finished the Kinematics Unit. Tomorrow, students will be doing a QUEST for the relative motion. On Tuesday, I will be starting the Dynamics Unit with them. It is also the day when my Prof from Prof 191 will be coming to observe. It is a bit nerve wrecking! The introduction lesson is a tad boring, hopefully I won’t get penalized for it (I squeezed in a POE/student self-exploration activity to do). 

Post this week is quite short as I am short on time. Off to complete lesson plans for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.